Monday 19 September 2016

Mother - A poem by Shani

Mother

Mother, best friend, soulmate
Light and dark, my counter opposite
Her hair is wheat, mine the night
She is fierce, she is brave, she is my mother

Mother, best friend, protector
She has borne me on her back since I was a babe
Her loveliness shatters my soul
She is strong, she is courageous, she is my mother

Mother, best friend, guardian
Shoved to the ground, feet pounding, pounding, pounding
Knives piercing the flesh on her back – she is trampled on.
Bloody and beaten, she stands, a gentle smile stitched on her face
“Always be kind, my love, always be kind,”
She is bold, she is reckless, she is my mother

Mother, best friend, confidante
She defends her dainty daughter, like a threatened lioness
And when I struggle, she struggles, when she bleeds, I bleed
She is passionate, she is valiant, she is my mother

Mother, best friend, survivor
A disease is slowly breaking her bones
Hours, doubled over in never ending agony
Cups of lukewarm tea left abandoned on the coffee table
She is relentless, she is daring, she is my mother

Mother, best friend, optimist
I think she sees the world in technicolour
I only see the world in trickles of grey.
She is fierce, she is brave

My mother is the woman I want to be. 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, you should give this to your mum as a birthday or mothers day present. The language is really moving, the use of adjectives to describe your love and admiration is clever.

    ReplyDelete