Monday 4 July 2016

Lady Midnight review


Hi there, its Lydia here.
Here you have it, finally I'm writing a review about Lady Midnight. I know it should have been done ages ago, but I have had quite a lot of artwork to be completed this week. 
As I've said before Cassandra Clare is one of my favourite authors, and I just love her style of writing, with the whole craziness of the shadow world. 

In this review I'm just going to stick to characters I love and some interesting aspects of Lady Midnight. 
Emma, I loved her! One of the things I like is that Clare didn't make her like Clary, because if you've read the whole mortal instruments saga, then you know what at first Clary was portrayed as very damsel in distress female characters, but obviously that completely changes as you read on in the saga. I love how Emma is reckless, it reminds me very much of Jace, she is always thinking of the mission before herself, its very admirable and heroic. Thoughout the book she wants to discover who killed her parents, as she was told by the Clave that Sebastian (Johnathan Morgenstern) was responsible, but in her heart she never quite believed them. The only thing I didn't like about this character was when she did a WILL! When she lied to Julian about her feelings for him! Then when she asked Mark to pretend to be in a relationship with her. I have already fangirled with Shani (I realised this isn't a real world), that there is going to be a love triangle between Emma, Mark and Julian in the next book in the The Dark Artifices: Lord Of Shadows!

Mark Blackthorn, I feel so sorry for Mark. He was taken away from his family for five or so years, and when he is returned to them, he has no idea who his brothers and sisters are, they have all grown up and aged. There is so much heart break in this characters life. When Kieran, Mark's lover came into the story, I always felt a bit off about him, like you look shady mate. Then when he was willing to let Julian suffer the whipping, that was when I was like no way, he gots to go! I quite liked how Mark is bisexual, and how he wanted to sleep with Cristian and found her attractive, I so shipped them together. 

Julian Blackthorn, I love him. I like all of the characters (except Malcolm),  but I would be sitting here for ages talking about them. I love how much he's in love with Emma, he will do anything for her, much like Clary and Jace. I find it heart breaking that before the beach scene, it feels like he has to restrain himself to be with her and touch her. When he had a room dedicated to her! The feels! It reminded me of a mural, in artist speech, its something that, that person would care about or a specific event that is important in the artists life. 

I like the forbidden love story and how its all revolves around the Parabati bond. Its a really clever way of introducing the main drama and element to the story. 
Another element I love about Lady Midnight is that Magnus is in it. He's the only character that is in all three of Clare's series. He is hands down one of my favourite characters. What I also find clever is that all three book series tie together nicely, that Jace and Clary and in the end of Lady Midnight and how they're both referenced throughout the book through diaologue and flash backs. They're almost referenced like a power couple. 

The only aspect that really surprised me, that I didn't see coming was the villain Malcolm. I have to applaud Cassandra Clare for this, his character and scheme was very well structured. I genuinely didn't know who the mystery villain was, I was just as surprised as the characters were. 

Okay, last comment now. The theme of love and death is nicely introduced in the book. I saw it immediately, for my brain is now wired that way from doing my AS levels English Literature exams, Love Through The Ages. 
There is so much more I want to say, but it better to do a short and sweet book review, otherwise I could go on forever. 
Thanks for reading. I hope you have enjoyed reading my opinion about the characters and main aspects of the book. I would love to hear some of yours in the comment bar below. 
For those who haven't read any Cassandra Clare books, go blooming read some! 




Author: Cassandra Clare 
Published: 8th March 2016
Publisher: I don't know, I think Cassandra self published the book. 
Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment